Quality Black TV, Is it Back?


After being cancelled on The CW network and three successful seasons, 1/11/11 marked the come back for hit sitcom " The Game" and its highly anticipated fourth sea
son. Although I was and still am not a fan of the now BET comedy- drama series, after being suckered in by the hype and promo, I decided to tune in. To no avail, my expectations were not met. The same issues I had with the sitcom the few times I watched it in the past was amplified. Granted, I know nothing about the lives of football players and their wives but at surface value, the characters and their situations look exaggerated beyond belief. Then there's too much going on at one time. Last night was only the first episode and viewers were slammed into 5 different densely packed drama stories. As I was trying to digest one situation the scene would transition into another that was equally interesting. And for some odd reason I can not get with the cast line up, especially the character Melanie. Something about her and how she handles her issues does not sit well with me.

However, BET redeemed itself. Last night also served as the introduction of BET's originally scripted sitcom "Let's Stay Together". Unlike " The Game" I instantly connected with the cast line up. The characters are totally relatable and their situations are as well. I also like how the show allowed the viewer to focus in on one main story line while letting the other characters and their stories support it. I also thought it was refreshing to see everyday black people be displayed very beautifully with awesome jobs and lifestyles. I hope I'm not saying this prematurely, but this show looks like it will provide an example of how the black community can live.

7 Comments Leave A Comment:

Patrick Doctor on January 12, 2011 at 9:27 PM said...

No the season premiere of The Game was "so-so." It looked cheap, the camera resolution/film was off, and they got a NEW BRIT-BRAT! wtf. The only plus was that it actually made me watch for the whole 1hr, but that was only b/c I wanted to find out if it was drama. I really feel like it was a low blow of BET, yes Im blaming them, for trying to sell us drama. It'll work b/c "we" love drama but even that drama was mediocre. I wont be satisfied until they bring back the football element and bring back the whit/sass/jokes. B/c right now, its looking like a straight Tyler Perry joint. - @BruhManeDiesel

Shuga Henry said...

I am agree Phaon. I was bombarded with all the story lines. After 15mins I was mentally exhausted and annoyed with the exaggeration of each characters role. For example, why was "Tasha" smoking a Black&Mild? Ok, we already know that she is a little Ghetto, but did they really have to glamorize ghettoness? Also, why was "Jason" & "Kelly" trying so hard to be around black people? There was a scene when "Kelly" had three random black girls sitting at her table & "Jason" walked in with a black girl. I also had a problem with the Terrance-Tasha Mack match up. I have no problem with older women dating young men, but the casting is awkward. "Tasha" looked like she was kissing her son. Sorry, that did not appeal to me. I understand bringing a show back can be hard task; expectations are high and producers and directors can get over excited. I hope the series gets better. But everyone knows BET's reputation now, so I won't get my hopes up to high. Great article by the way.

Phaon on January 12, 2011 at 11:39 PM said...

Thanks Shuga! However, C'yo actually wrote the article. He is one of the new writers for the site.

Troylynnn on January 13, 2011 at 9:03 PM said...

I agree I did realize that this episode of the game was a bit more far fetched than the episodes that I fell in love with, especially the relationship between Derwin and Melonie. The previous season I actually believed that Melonie truly loved Derwin but now it seems as if she's thirsty. Her character is unpredictable always stirring up drama. I know that the drama is needed in order for the show to thrive but this situation is beyond ridiculous. I mean having the test come back negative then positive, seriously??? However, I will continue to watch the show to see if their relationship survives but the not so funny TT...the out of control Malik...the Tasha and Terrance!!!(super unbelievable, not to mention gross)...is going to make it pretty hard.... The Let's Stay Together Show was ok. Definitely feels good to watch something other than a reality show, that Kita girl is not funny, But the other characters are cool & I like how the show is not just a series of unfortunate events(The Game)...eventually there's going to be a train wreck!

cyo on January 13, 2011 at 11:39 PM said...

@ Patric Docto comment: I really feel like it was a low blow of BET, yes Im blaming them, for trying to sell us drama. It'll work b/c "we" love drama but even that drama was mediocre <- I agree

@Shuga Henry comment: or example, why was "Tasha" smoking a Black&Mild? Ok, we already know that she is a little Ghetto, but did they really have to glamorize ghettoness? Also, why was "Jason" & "Kelly" trying so hard to be around black people? <- Wow, I agree. Well said.

@Troylnn commnet: The previous season I actually believed that Melonie truly loved Derwin but now it seems as if she's thirsty. <- I thought I was tripping too. I waited for her to come around and correct Tasha but she never did. I'm just confused all together.

Yo boy C'Yo

Anonymous said...

Nicole B. Here:
C'Yo I don't know if we watches the same show. I totally fell in love with the old shows. I couldn't wait until thursday. Now I do agree with the disappointments in the show this season. Melanie and Derwin are not the same nor anyone else. I think for me it's more about so much change. Melanie has always been melodramatic but for me the show was low budget and every cast member was way over the top. I believe the overdramatizing in the past has been for the laughs and I agree now it's just looking low budget and re runish. Let's stay together? Let's not. They just look old and unattachable to me. BET hasn't been on my tuner since aj, free, and cita and seems like they're ruining my last true love of the game also.

Anonymous said...

Sorry foe the grammar and day mix up. It was tuesday lol

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

LuxuriousPROTOTYPE

LuxuriousPROTOTYPE.com is a lifestyle blog whose mission is to bring you the latest in fashion,music, videos, art, events and whats hot and whats not. LuxuriousPROTOTYPE.com Clubhouse is a place where people gather and talk about current topics. Everyone that visit LuxuriousPROTOTYPE is a member of the clubhouse. Stay Tuned for Updates! "The Model Image for a Luxurious Life"

About Me

Phaon Spurlock is a native of Louisiana, Media & Marketing Professional, Owner of Prototype Solutions LLC, NUPE and last but not least a True Southern Gentleman! He lives in a world of polos, Nantucket Reds, Ribbon Belts and Bucks but also enjoys a good Sneaker, Tee and Fitted. The TRUE Southern Gentleman is able to mix and match different trends while still looking like a gentleman. Stick with me, I'll take you places. Welcome to my World! Phaon@LuxuriousPROTOTYPE.com LETS GEAUX!

LuxuriousPROTOTYPE Copyright © 2009 WoodMag is Designed by Ipietoon Customized by Prototype Solutions